Finding Someplace Backpack

This summer, I read a book called Finding Someplace written by: Denise Lewis Patrick. In the book, Reesie (the main character) had to collect valuable things she needed to survive Hurricane Katrina (2005). Valuable things such as important papers , her water bottle, and very special book her neighbor gave her.. After she quickly packed her bag, she ran to her neighbor Miss Martine’s house to evacuate. Unlike Reesie, I would be prepared and pack ahead.

If I had to bring a bag full of important and valuable things like Reesie did, I would bring a big hiking bag to hold everything in. Next, I would separate what I would bring into sections. The first section would have electronic items, such as my phone to contact my parents if I got stranded, a portable charger to charge my phone, a normal flashlight for the night, a portable tiny radio, and batteries for the flashlight and radio.

The next section would be foods and water. From what I remember, Reesie brought a couple snacks, but I like food so I brought a lot of food. I would bring: 3 canned fruit, 3 canned vegetables, to get healthy food inside of me. a full giant water bottle, 3 Gatorades (for electrolytes), chia seeds (for protein), 4 granola bars, 2 tiny packs of Goldfish, 3 apples, 2 oranges, one little loaf of bread, and a pack of canned chicken. I would eat the canned chicken the first 3 days so it won’t get bad.

The next section would be hygiene. Reesie did not bring things like her toothbrush or hand sanitizer, so I remembered to bring them. Other items I would bring for hygiene would be my toothpaste to brush my teeth, 2 toilet papers, 2 packs of wipes, 2 first aid kits. In the last section, I would pack extra items: like my birth certificate (in a waterproof folder), just in case someone in the officials need it. The card game Uno to play in our freetime, 2 books to read, my vitamins to keep my body healthy, melatonin in case I can’t fall asleep, a taser in case someone tries to steal me, 2 pairs of extra clothes, 1 pair of pajamas, a pillow, and a sleeping bag attached to my bag.

Lastly, after all those things are in my bag, I would be prepared to leave. I suspect I would not have to restock my food for at least 1 week. If you are wondering, I will be traveling with my family so they will pack their own bags. I would also ask my mom to bring a wagon and a tent to sleep in. Now the question is, how will I hold it all?